Updated CVSA 2015 OOS Criteria
North American Standard Out-of-Service Criteria (OOSC) Handbook - Effective as of April 1st, 2015.
The OOSC is revised annually by the Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance, which considers regulatory changes that occurred within the last year, enforcement and industry input as well as technological improvements.
Here are some of the updates that drivers should be aware of:
Driver OOS Changes:
- This new update acknowledges that although some drivers do not meet the language requirements of the country in which they are operating, it has not been shown to create an imminent safety hazard. Drivers who cannot speak the language of the country in which they are operating (in most cases English since the criteria applies to Canada, the US, and Mexico) will no-longer be placed be taken off the road but will still be charged with a violation.
- Drivers may be taken off the road for any signs of fatigue. Inspectors must make a subjective assessment to clarify “fatigue” by relating it to a driver’s level of alertness and whether if it is impaired by fatigue.
Vehicle OOS Changes:
- Trucks may be taken off the road for any deficiencies in hydraulic and electric brakes. This includes everything ranging from loose or missing caliper mounting bolts to improperly joined lines and hoses
New OOS clarifications for fifth wheels:
- Cracks in the mounting angle iron of fifth wheel coupling devices
- Definitions of “parent metal” and the condition of welds
- Additional detail on the size and location of cracks
New section added:
- Defines OOS criteria for loose and/or temporary seating in buses, motor coaches, and other passenger carrier vehicles (with the exception of wheel chairs)
For more information on these updates, please visit the CVSA website at http://www.cvsa.org
To purchase a copy of the new CVSA OOS Handbook, click here
Tia Chisholm, HUB International TRANSPORTATION
HUB International TRANSPORTATION specialists are based in Vancouver. Our longstanding relationships with the best providers in the business allow us to deliver the solution that serve you best. With HUB, you can run your business knowing that you are headed in the right direction.
 "New CVSA OOS Handbook includes Updated Guidelines." BC Trucking Association. BC Trucking Association, 04 Apr 2015. Web. 8 Apr 2015. <http://www.bctrucking.com/2015/04/02/new-cvsa-oos-handbook-includes-updated-guidelines?mail_link=aef124f3fe4d71515e4710b1abf3740d>.