Top 5 Most Common Trucking Claims
While the most common trucking claims change from time to time, over the last few years the following claims have consistently been the chart-toppers. Here they are, along with some tips on how to prevent them from happening to you:
- SIDESWIPES: this usually happens when changing lanes, passing, or colliding with other vehicles close to the centre line. Prevention is as simple as properly adjusting mirrors so that the driver can see surrounding traffic more clearly, and to adjust seating position to improve vehicle control while driving.
- REAR-END COLLISIONS: due to longer stopping distance, trucks have certain limitations when it comes to braking, visibility, and controlling acceleration. Proper defensive driving techniques are key to prevention, such as maintaining proper stopping distance from vehicles ahead.
- VEHICLE ROLLOVERS: often caused by driver fatigue, speeding around a curve, or the shifting of unsecured cargo, rollover situations are one of the biggest risks to truck drivers. Reducing speed on curves and ramps is vital, as well as ensuring cargo is properly secured.
- REAR-ENDED BY OTHER VEHICLES: this is usually due to other vehicles following too closely or approaching too quickly, or due to limited visibility during inclement weather or night-time. To minimize the risk of being rear-ended, try to stay as visible as possible, ensuring both truck and trailer are well lit and equipped with reflective materials. If your truck is moving slowly, apply hazard lights to alert other vehicles that you are moving at a slower speed.
- STRIKING OBJECTS: the most common objects struck by trucks are animals on the road, low hanging wires, poles, bridges and overpasses, buildings and loading docks, and parked vehicles. Blind spots are often the cause, such as backing up into objects; having properly adjusted mirrors and seat is extremely important, while damaged caused by striking animals on the road can be lessed with reinforced bumpers.
While none of these claims are entirely preventable, many can be avoided or their impact lessened. Knowing how to prevent these, the most common claims, can help you avoid them in the future. For further information about these kinds of claims and how to prevent them, please see The Top 5 Trucking Claims of 2013 by Northbridge Insurance (2014).
Tia Chisholm, HUB International TRANSPORTATION
HUB International TRANSPORTATION specialists are based in Vancouver. Our longstanding relationships with the best providers in the business allow us to deliver the solution that serve you best. With HUB, you can run your business knowing that you are headed in the right direction.