Cargo Thieves Targeting High-Value Loads, Red-Zone Areas in US
According to FreightWatch International, the average loss value per cargo theft incident in the US during the 3rd quarter of 2014 jumped 100% from 2013’s 3rd quarter $321,521, while the number of actual incidents of thefts fell. Trailer/container thefts accounted for the most thefts at 85%. The most common loads stolen include:
- Food and beverage at 18%, with meats, nuts, canned and dry goods being the most targeted
- Electronics at 17%, with televisions, cell phones and accessories as the most targeted
- Home and garden at 15%
- Building and industrial loads at 14%
- Pharmaceutical medication had the highest average value per stolen load at $2 million, followed by electronics loads’ $1.079 million, pharmaceutical supplies at $453,625 and alcohol/tobacco at $421,407
Four states accounted for more than 60% of thefts in the US: California, Florida, Texas and New Jersey.
FreightWatch International issued an alert this week regarding what is commonly referred to as the Red Zone, i.e. any area within 200 miles of a load's origin, stating it had seen three Red Zone truckload thefts during the first three weeks of November 2014. A large majority of cargo thefts occur within a load's Red Zone, and carriers are recommended to take measures to prevent stopping within their Red Zones, including:
- Ensuring drivers have enough legal hours left to make it outside the Red Zone
- Ensuring there is enough fuel in the tractor to make it outside of the Red Zone
- Monitoring any emergency stops in the Red Zone with constant communication between the driver and over-watch service
- Avoiding unattended staging for any length of time within the Red Zone
If a Red Zone stop can't be avoided, drivers should park in a well-lit secured area with the trailer backed against an obstacle or permanent fixture. Using brake locks, fuel cut-offs, and covert GPS tracking with active monitoring can add another level of security to protect loads.
Source: Cargo Thieves Honing In On High-Value Loads by James Jaillet, Commercial Carrier Journal (October 29, 2014) and FreightWatch Warns of Recent Jump in Loads Stolen in Red Zone by James Jaillet, Commercial Carrier Journal (November 20, 2014).
Tia Chisholm, HUB International TRANSPORTATION
HUB International TRANSPORTATION specialists are based in Vancouver. Our longstanding relationships with the best providers in the business allow us to deliver the solution that serve you best. With HUB, you can run your business knowing that you are headed in the right direction.