National Cargo Theft Initiative – Help Stop Cargo Crime
The National Cargo Theft Initiative is sponsored by the Insurance Corporation of Canada and supported by the Canadian Trucking Alliance as well as the BC Trucking Association in order to combat the clear and present continued threat posed by cargo theft perpetrators.
The program first launched in 2014 in Ontario to raise awareness of the dangers and costs associated with cargo theft and to assist in the recovery of stolen goods. The success of the program has led to an extension of the program across Canada & a new national cargo theft database is now available to all Canadian insurance and trucking companies.
Strategic partners can immediately submit cargo loss details by visiting IBC’s Cargo Theft Reporting Form. The information is then added to a cargo notice report that is distributed to local and national law enforcement, including Canadian and American border agencies. For privacy reasons, the information released will be limited as necessary; such as generic description of the goods, but not the carrier names.
Benefits of a National Database:
- Assists IBC strategic partners to identify and recover stolen cargo, tractors and trailer units
- Provides IBC crime analysts the ability to identify trends, to prevent and detect cargo crime, and assist in prosecution
- Facilitates the extraction of information to assist with reporting and tracking the success of the program particularly with regards to tracking recoveries
- Aligns well with the Ports Program currently in place with Canada Border Service Agency and will complement CBSA’s efforts in identifying and seizing stolen property
- Provides access to cargo theft information outside of regular business hours for authorized stakeholders
- Provides improved and flexible reporting capabilities
For more information, visit the IBC Website: Cargo theft program launches in Western Canada
Tia Chisholm, HUB International TRANSPORTATION
HUB International TRANSPORTATION specialists are based in Vancouver. Our longstanding relationships with the best providers in the business allow us to deliver the solution that serve you best. With HUB, you can run your business knowing that you are headed in the right direction.
Original article source: BCTA Help Stop Cargo Crime: Take Part in the National Cargo Theft Initiative