HUB LinkedIn
HUB International TRANSPORTATION Insurance
British Columbia’s leading source of Transportation insurance solutions
When you bring your business to our TRANSPORTATION specialists at HUB International Insurance Brokers, you receive the combined power of our vast global resources and solid local relationships. Our longstanding relationships with the best providers in the business allow us to deliver the solution that serves you best. With HUB, you can run your business knowing that you are headed in the right direction.

Workers Comp Reminders for BC Drivers in Other Provinces

If your organization has interjurisdictional truck or motor coach operations, and you are registered as an employer with WorkSafeBC, it is important to know that:

  1. WorkSafeBC has an Alternative Assessment Procedure (AAP) that simplifies coverage for BC drivers operating in other provinces.  The application deadline to join the AAP is February 28th
  2. BC carriers with drivers who live in other provinces must also register those drivers with the workers' compensation boards in the drivers' home provinces or territories

Be advised that WorkSafeBC coverage does not automatically include claims made by drivers who are injured while working outside BC; every works' compensation board in Canada requires an out-of-province carrier to pay premiums for each driver who traves in or through their province or territory.  However, all boards adhere to an Alternative Assessment Procedure for Interjurisdictional Trucking, which allows employers to receive the same benefits in each province where your company operates, but pay premiums in the province where your workers live and usually work.

The AAP does not cover workers who live outside BC; it is meant to facilitate coverage only for workers who must travel outside BC for work.  Under the AAP, WorkSafeBC will notify workers' compensation boards in other provinces or territories where you are not registered, that you are participating in the AAP and paying your premiums in BC for drivers working within their boundaries.

If you are not already participating in the AAP and would like to, you can switch to the AAP at the beginning of the calendar year (deadline is February 28th each year).  For full details, downloadable guidelines, and an application form, visit WorkSafeBC.

Original Article Source: Important Workers' Compensation Reminders for Interjurisdictional Motor Carriers

Request a Callback

(604) 269-1000

RSS Feed

Subscribe via our RSS feed

Email Newsletter

Subscribe to HUB Transportation news

Get a Quote