Be Truck Aware Campaign Runs Through October 2017
As part of BC's road safety strategy, the Be Truck Aware campaign recently launched on October 17th in Pitt Meadows at the Justice Institute of BC. The campaign's goal is to reduce car-truck crashes in BC and promote safe driving practices. Heightened enforcement is also a part of this campaign, targeting all drivers on the road as part of Operation Safe Driver week. Passenger vehicle drivers are being asked to:
- Leave Space: large trucks need more room to stop and turn.
- Don’t Merge Too Soon: when passing, make sure you can see both headlights of the truck in your rearview mirror before merging back into the lane.
- Be Visible: slow down or move well ahead of large trucks to stay out of the driver’s blind spots.
- Anticipate Wide Turns: watch for trucks making wide swings to turn right, and never drive ahead in the right lane beside a turning truck.
The campaign is also asking truck drivers to take precautions to reduce crashes, including:
- Maintain Brakes and Tires: ensure they are in top condition to minimize stopping distances.
- Adjust Speed and Driving: especially in poor weather and road conditions.
- Stay Focused: get plenty of rest and eliminate in-cab distractions.
- Secure and Balanced Loads: reduce the likelihood of a crash and its impact on others.
The campaign will run October 17 to 31, 2017 - look for the hashtag #betruckaware! on social media for more information and events.
Source: Be Truck Aware Campaign Launches October 17 by the BC Trucking Association (October 16, 2017).