The Most Dangerous Highways in B.C.
Due to our province’s unique geography, British Columbia has a distinctive highway system that spans mountains and connects towns with unique economic advantages. Although the scenery on these highways can be beautiful, having such a diverse highway system also comes with accidents.
Global News asked ICBC which highways are the most lethal, and whether our highway systems are becoming safer or more dangerous as their use increases. ICBC has provided information regarding fatal crashes on provincial highways between 2004 – 2013.
This list compares highway stretches longer than 50 KM between major regional centres:
- Revelstoke-Golden (Highway 1: 38 fatal crashes)
- Burnaby-Mission (Highway 7: 33 fatal crashes)
- Merritt-Hope (Highway 5: 32 fatal crashes)
- Fort St. John-Fort Nelson (Highway 97: 30 fatal crashes)
- Prince George-Quesnel (Highway 97: 27 fatal crashes)
- Surrey-Abbotsford (Highway 1: 26 fatal crashes)
- Nanaimo-Courtenay (Highway 19: 26 fatal crashes)
- Hope-Lillooet (Highway 1 & 12: 25 fatal crashes)
- Hope-Princeton (Highway 3: 24 fatal crashes)
- Prince George-Chetwynd (Highway 97: 24 fatal crashes)
- Kamloops-Sorrento (Highway 1: 24 fatal crashes)
- Sorrento-Sicamous (Highway 1: 24 fatal crashes)
When do most accidents happen?
The majority of accidents actually occur in the summertime. In the 10 year period measured by ICBC, fatal crashes have occurred in the following seasons:
- 192 in August
- 181 in July
- 145-160 in June, September, October and November
- 105-125 from January to May
- 178 in December
Tia Chisholm, HUB International TRANSPORTATION
HUB International TRANSPORTATION specialists are based in Vancouver. Our longstanding relationships with the best providers in the business allow us to deliver the solution that serve you best. With HUB, you can run your business knowing that you are headed in the right direction.
 McElroy, Justin. "British Columbia’s 12 Deadliest Highways." Global News. 9 Feb. 2015. Web. 16 Feb. 2015. <http://globalnews.ca/news/1819213/british-columbias-12-deadliest-highways/>.